(The info on Facebook here)
Michael Lavocah brings tango music to life. His book on tango music is now in three languages, and has established itself as the reference work on the subject. He tours all over Europe and beyond giving workshops on how to dance to different tango orchestras.
There will be an introductory lecture before the milonga on Friday night, and workshops on D’Arienzo, Di Sarli, and Troilo on Saturday. In each workshop we move through the cycle of listening, feeling and moving.
The event takes place in co-operation with Tango con Amigos at their beautiful location at Easter Compton, just outside Bristol.
Friday 16th – Saturday 17th October 2015
Friday evening October 16th
- 7:30pm – How to listen to tango music
Michael’s world famous lecture designed especially for tango dancers. This lecture has been presented in more than 20 cities in 8 countries. The lecture is a good preparation for the workshops on Saturday, but you can also come just for the lecture.
The lecture will start promptly at 7:30pm. Doors open at 7pm – please arrive in good time. Cost: £10 including free entrance to the milonga afterwards. No booking required.
- 8:30pm – midnight: milonga. DJ: Paul Rogers. £8 or free with the lecture
Saturday 17th October
We present three of the big four tango orchestras: D’Arienzo, Di Sarli, and Troilo. The first two workshops introduce the fundamentals of rhythm and melody and are suitable for all levels. These workshops complement one another, and I strongly suggest that you do both, even if – especially if – you have a natural preference for either the more rhythmic or the more melodic aspects of tango music.
The third workshop (Troilo) builds on the first two. It is for more experienced dancers.
Please book with a partner.
- 1:00pm – 2:30pm Juan D’Arienzo: beat and rhythm. All levels. Fully booked
- 2:45pm – 4:15pm Carlos Di Sarli: melody and phrasing . All levels. Fully booked
- 4:30pm – 6:00pm Aníbal Troilo. Troilo’s orchestra spearheaded the development of the vocal tango in the early 1940s and, apart from the very first recordings with Fiorentino, is considered difficult to dance to. In this workshop, Michael explains the different kinds of contrasts that the orchestra uses, how this develops over time, and how to follow this in the music, both listening and dancing. Level: intermediate / advanced (3 years +).
- 7:45pm – midnight: milonga. DJ: Mike Lavocah “El inglés” £10 on the door
- 1 WS (90 min) £15
- 2 WS (90 min) £25
- 3 WS (90 min) £35
Places are limited. We expect the workshops to book out.
The event takes place at Tango con Amigos regular venue at Easter Compton Village Hall (BS35 5SJ), just outside Bristol – very convenient for J17 of the M5.
Please fill in the form below. Book with a partner if at all possible. If you can’t find a partner – send in the form and we will try to match you. Currently: One very experienced and musical female partner is looking for a partner for all three workshops.
I will send you a confirmation email once your booking has been processed.